[TRLog] Log Editing

Subject: [TRLog] Log Editing
From: merchant@silcom.com (Stephen Merchant)
Date: Tue, 08 Jul 1997 08:01:22 -0700
This thread is becoming almost religious in its fervor.

As someone who had been a CT/NA user for a very long time, it took me a few
contests to get used to the different design of TR.  Once I got there, I
never looked back.  I have also had the pleasure of exposing some big-time
contesters to TR while running it at N6RO, like N6RO, K3EST, W6RGG, and
K2KW.

Before things really get rolling there is always a lot of huffing and
puffing about not being able to edit the log.  In practice, when we run a
multi-multi with 5 or more stations operating simultaneously, there is no
realistic way to edit a qso in the 5-Q window because of the rate at which
the master log is advancing.  We like to run all the Q's through all the
machines on the network so we can watch rate, totals, etc.  So, if you
wanted to change a Q you just worked, you would have to be very quick
indeed to catch it before it scrolled off the top and into the ascii log file.

K3EST in particular has complained about this being the only major problem
he sees with using TR.  However, he has used the program the last three
large contests we have done from N6RO with no other complaints; we are
claiming 1st US for WPX SSB and 2nd US WPX CW this year using TR.

The only issue I can see with real time log corrections is if you felt
compelled to change a busted callsign.  The worst thing that could happen
if you didn't make the correction is you might dupe the busted call.  I
don't consider this a serious problem.  Unless you've really screwed up the
callsign, you probably haven't also gotten the mult wrong, and even if you
do I doubt it will mean the difference between winning and losing.  The
most important part would be to make sure you get the correct information
somewhere so you can correct the log before submitting it, (or before
posting to 3830 if that's the most important part.)

I do think it's nice to be able to scroll through CT's log file during the
contests, but I accept the reasons why it's not going to happen in TR.  The
other features and overall superior performance of TR, plus Tree's
continual interest and willingness to improve the program far outweigh the
minor annoyance of not being to edit the entire log in real time.  Like
W7GG says, if you've got time to do this, you probably need to be on
another band, or calling CQ more often.

I'd rather be talking about strategies for IARU this weekend than log
editing.  See you in the pileups.

73, Steve K6AW