[TRLog] TS-870S polling poll

Subject: [TRLog] TS-870S polling poll
From: gbaron@sparc.isl.net (Gilbert Baron)
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 1997 11:42:15 GMT
>On Wed, 12 Nov 1997 19:29:53 -0800 (PST), you wrote:

>If you don't have a TS-870, do yourself a favor and delete this
>message now.
>
>If you do, please read the following and let me know if you have
>seen anything similar.  I have spent quite a bit of time trying to
>get to the bottom of this problem that W0MN has.  If I can't get
>anywhere else, I will return his money.
>
>As I posted previously, it appears the radio isn't returning the
>data after I send IF; to it.  Gil had used the program as a dumb
>terminal and saw the same problem (in other words - TR wasn't in
>the picture).

The above is not quite true. It did not return the data the first time
I send IF but if I sent it again the data came back as it should. My
radio may not be working the way it should or the way other Kenwood
radios work but it did return the data on the second (AND ALL
SUBSEQUENT) times. The problem is that the data is one command behind.
That is the first time it ever see the command it returns nothing, the
second time it returns the data giving the status that existed when
the first command was sent, and so on. This very well may be a design
error in the Kenwood firmware that would have to be handled by sending
the command twice or it may be the way most or all 870s work. Neither
I nor Tree really are sure at this point.

>When he says it works when you send CW, I suspected that the cable
>had the RTS or CTS signals tied to the PTT or something.
>
>At any rate - if anyone with an 870 has any input, I would love to
>hear about it.  If there is a problem with the way TR works with the
>870, I want to fix it (despite what W0MN says).

I never said you don't want to fix it in the reflector. I said that
you may not pay to fix it for you if not very many people have the
problem and that I would understand why. I would not be happy that my
program does not work but I would realize that it just was not wroth
your time and effort. By this post I can see that you are interested.

I DON'T THINK THAT YOU FOLLOWED VERY GOOD NETIQUETTE POSTING VERBATIM
OUR PRIVATE E MAIL. THAT IS A HUGE NO NO IS WHAT I HAVE ALWAYS BEEN
TOLD. I REMEMBER SENDING MAIL TO YOU THAT I WOULD KEEP THIS PRIVATE
AND YOU SAID GOOD. THE POST YOU JUST MADE WAS ANYTHING BUT.
--
Gil Baron W0MN gbaron@sparc.isl.net
Bailar es vivir" pgp2.6 key http://www-swiss.ai.mit.edu/~bal/pks-toplev.html