[TRLog] From the CT reflector

Subject: [TRLog] From the CT reflector
From: gene@jetisi.com (Gene Shablygin)
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 1997 13:12:12 -0600
It can't be said better. I think, that the only way to have the
"state of the art" software, is to find a retired millionaire, who
has nothing to do but write code, just for pleasure. Or, better
a team of them....

My estimate is that a good win95/NT contest logging software would
cost about $1M to develop (it is not just a stupid guess -- we have
a software subsidiary, and I know how much it costs). Now, divide
$1M by the number of possible licensed users -- and you have a very
rough estimate of the cost per package. Add some profit and...

I can hardly expect that there are over 2000 copies of TR sold; so
the "TR/Win" will retail for over $600. Who except some 9K2 guys
will buy it?

So let us be happy with what we have.

Gene W3UA / RA3AA

Tree N6TR wrote:

> This exchange originally occurred on the CT reflector, and I was
> very impressed with the response that Dick generated.  I could not
> have said it as well - and it is better coming from someone else
> anyway:

> 1) Writing great software is hard work.  Supporting people with widely
> varying skill levels is even harder work.

<snip>