[TRLog] operating breaks

Subject: [TRLog] operating breaks
From: swca@ionet.net (Mark Beckwith)
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 1997 15:54:07 -0800
About 'on' and 'off' times:

>The time on and off is a nice idea but I would like a different
>implementation.
>It is SO easy to forget to manually enter the \off and \on. It would
>be very nice if that could be done automatically in some way. It
>should be a choice such as whenever you end the program. Of course
>totally automatic hour calculation would be better but I realize the
>amount of work that would be.

The fact is this would encourage illegal activity.  Because "listening time
counts as operating time" I'm sure Tree has no intention of making the
program simply assume that just because you're not making QSOs you must be
"off."

As the OT in my callsign attests, I remember a day when all this had to be
done painstakingly by hand using an actual pencil and log sheets.  I don't
remember that keeping track of breaks was such a big deal.  I would
recommend keeping a pencil handy and simply adding a list of your breaks to
your summary sheet when you're done.

In the good old days we were all in the habit of noting our breaks when we
took them - if we forgot then we had to dig through the log and find them.
I don't think any of this has changed.  Save Tree's efforts for important
stuff.

Mark, N5OT

P.S.  Actually I knew one guy who kept his logs using a ballpoint pen, but
even HE has switched to TR.