[TRLog] Use of "?" in the Callsign Window

Subject: [TRLog] Use of "?" in the Callsign Window
From: geoiii@bga.com (george fremin iii)
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 1998 20:37:09 -0600 (CST)
Hi,

>again.  Phil's suggestion is compatible with (a).  At the moment, TR is
>still difficult for me to get untangled if I make a mistake while trying
>to maintain rate, so (b) could use some of our collective thoughts for
>Tree.

I think I understand what you are saying but I do not find it hard to
get things fixed up anymore.  In fact there are several very powerful
features in TR-Log that can go along way to fixing your busted imput.

The are:

ESCAPE to back up one step in the log process.
ALT-Z to recaulate the initial exchange.
ALT-Y to delete the last QSO.
CTL-Y to recall the callsign that was last in the call window.

CALLSIGN UPDATE ENABLE - allows you to enter a correced callsign
                         in the exchange window.

The possible calls window - where you can just hit the ; key to
put a call from the possible call list into the callsign window.
(I find this feature really saves me alot of time.)

I am not saying there is not room for improvement but if
the user learns to use the tools that are already in TR-Log
he may find his rate goes up.

On that subject I find the TRMASTER database / initial exchange
information also speeds me up as it frees me from having to
type in some or all of the exchange.

>There was once a TRLog feature that supported (c), but it seems to have
>disappeared.

Yep - I wonder if anyone ever used it or maybe Tree or Phil or
one of the other long term users can tell us how well or poorly
that feature worked.

 I'd like a scratchpad feature, and I don't myself like the
>idea that you would do anything to transfer calls or partials from it to
>the call field; typing them in allows one to add any additional
>alphanumerics you may recognize as you do it (or as you scan the SCP).
>I would like calls or partials to disappear from the scratchpad when you
>log the related callsign, using an SCP-like function.

I know that I have talked to both you (Dave) and Rich (N6KT) about
such a feature - I think NA has something like this - how does it work
in the real world?  It sounds like a very intresting idea and i would
love to have it to try in a contest. I also wonder if it will really
work a paper logging allows you to move between "fields" at a much
higher rate than on a computer screen - that I have my doubts about
such a feature being able to help me run guys faster.  I have been
working on developing my brain to "store" an additonal callsign or
two as a mental scratchpad. I have found this is not easy - but I
think I can train my brain to get better at it.

>stations have at one time or another expressed the concern about whether
>a particular computer logging software permits the same ultimate rates.
>I think it could, but it would be great to recapture some of the
>features of hand logging without compromising the huge number of
>favorable features that have come on line.

I am not sure that I have ever been limited by the computer when
it comes to rate. I see the limiting factors as being:

External to the op:

1. Not enough stations calling.
2. Too many stations calling.
3. Stations that waste time in various ways.

There is a very fine line between a 300 hour (SSB) and
anything higher - just a few of any of the above
in that hour and you are sunk.

I just looked at my SS log and I have a string for 10 mins where
the average was 3.3 qsos/min.  There were some 2 qso minutes
several 5 qso minutes and more 4 qso minutes.  I dont think
I could have those rates in SS on paper or with any of the other
logging programs.  The amount of info that you must log is
much greater in the SS and TR-Log makes it easy - I think even
eaiser that with paper becasue you do not need to erase - just enter
the correct info.

Anyway - just thought I would throw out my thoughts on the
subject - as I said before I would like to work on making
the computer eaiser to use and I am sure there are things to
be done.  I think the scrachpad idea is worth looking at - I for
one would like to try such a feature.

--

George Fremin III          "You give me a $10,000 custom guitar
Austin, Texas                and Chet Atkins a $200 discount