[TRLog] OT's 2 cents

Subject: [TRLog] OT's 2 cents
From: swca@ionet.net (swca@ionet.net)
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 1998 07:31:31 -0600 (CST)
For those who don't remember because this has been going around for quite
some time now, we are bantering about the fact that TR at the moment has a
basic bug which EVERYONE will encounter from time to time:

Let's say you type in a call and hit <return>.  If it is in the database the
exchange info goes into the window.  Those people who still take the time to
copy the exchange might discover that, for whatever reason, the info from
the database is no longer correct (i.e. ED changed his name to WARD or
something).

Good thing you copied the exchange, huh?  So you go in and change ED to WARD
and log him.  Great.

The BUG is that the next time you work him in that contest, the pre-loaded
exchange ONCE AGAIN comes up as "ED".

We ALL know this is not the way it is supposed to work, right?  This is not
a question of opinion, it is just a BUG.

N5OT says:  That still don't make it right, Tree.

If I may venture a guess, the real answer is (and nobody knows better than
Tree after all) that it is a big pain in the butt to fix, probably a whole
lot harder than most of us in the peanut gallery who haven't been software
engineers since 1967 can even imagine.

I think what I hear is:  "Gee, we're sorry it's going to be a lot of work,
Tree, but it is still a BUG and it sure would be nice if it worked right."

K5GN (who has been around some, I might add) wrote:

>>This is THE most frustrating thing about TR, in my book.  ("Doggone it,
>>I *told* you last time you stupid computer!")  No *corrected* error
>>should be propagated by the initial exchange db.
>>
>>I note that the window editor is able to correct band mult and qso
>>totals.  So it must have the ability to do some updating.  Fixit, Tree!

then KC5AJX admonished:

> Maybe you forgot to add the word "Please" to that last line!!!!

N5OT says:  Then again, maybe not, unless we're begging.  Are we begging
yet?  Tree asks us for our input and we have been telling him about this
problem for several YEARS.  Like he said, "this is a known issue..."

IMHO, the problem with Tree making his incredible program public has been
making way for all the bells and whistles which now occupy probably 90% of
his TRlog programming hours.  However, nobody can argue that Tree's progress
and service isn't first-rate, for which virtually all of us are greatful.

Shoot, even I am going to try and see how all this packet stuff works this
weekend, just for fun.  Now that I don't have to worry about adjusting TUNE
and LOAD every time I change bands, I have extra time on my hands.

Anyway, if you all will get down on your knees with me for a moment:
Pleeeeease, Tree, we know it's a big job, but is sure would be slick if your
program would remember when somebody uses a new name compared to the name
they used previously.

Pretty-pleeeease??

Everybody up.  That's enough groveling for now.  Thanks.

Mark, N5OT