[TRLog] Run Mode Question

Subject: [TRLog] Run Mode Question
From: geoiii@bga.com (george fremin iii)
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 1998 11:37:45 -0600 (CST)
>What Bob wanted to do was down-arrow into the exchange window, fill in the
>exchange, up-arrow back to the callsign window and hit Enter so he could
>send his report.  This didn't work.

Hit CTL-Enter to get to the exchange window.
Fill in the exchange.
Up arrow to fill in the call.
Hit F2 to send the exchange or send it by hand.
Hit enter to log the call and send the corrected call info
or
Hit CTL-Enter to log the qso and hit F4 or you QSL/QRZ message.

OR you can do this:

Hit CTL-Enter to go to the exchange window.
(I have callsign update enable turned on.)
Then I enter the entire callsign in the excahnge window.
Send my exchange by hand or with F2.
Then hit enter to log/send corrected call info and qrz.

What I prefer to do is:

Enter the partial call I have copied.
Hit enter to send the partial call and my exchange.
Copy his call and exchange (all in the exchange window)
Hit enter to send the corrected callsign/QSL/QRZ messages.

This method if faster and requires fewere exchanges (usually) between
the two stations.  It works really well in the SS where the callsign
is part of the exchange and almost everyone will send you their
callsign. (Even if they dont know you don't have it all.)

Maybe I am missing something here - after all Bob has been
doing this stuff MUCH longer than I have but why do you feel
the need to send the compleate and correct call before sending
an exchange to a station?

>And if he used Ctrl-Z, he could get into the exchange window all right, but
>he then would be in S&P mode and it would take a few Escapes to get back
>into Run.  (This is what I did sometimes.)  This wasn't very appealing to
>Bob who isn't interested in becoming a keyboard genius.

CTL-Z??
I don't understand this - what does CTL-Z do for you.

>The alternative scenario was to memorize the guy's exchange, hit Enter to
>send your exchange, fill in the exchange info as soon as the window was
>accessible, and immediately hit Enter a second time to log the Q and send
>the ack/qrz message.  This method bothered Bob and caused us both to wonder
>how we could do it in a contest with a longer exchange like SS.

Use the third example for SS.

--

George Fremin III          "You give me a $10,000 custom guitar
Austin, Texas                and Chet Atkins a $200 discount