[TRLog] Next release

Subject: [TRLog] Next release
From: swca@ionet.net (swca@ionet.net)
Date: Mon, 02 Nov 1998 11:44:31 -0600
>> This means ALL of your files can be located in one directory.

>Not a good idea, in general, I don't think.

One of the troubles with The Other Leading Brand has always been, for me
anyway, the difficulty of identifying a file uniquely with 8 letters which
you can then figure out what it is a couple years later.  So, from Day One
I assumed I would not be able to figure out what a particuar log file on my
HD was by looking at the Filename, and I keep a separate list of what they
are, thus:

1997

N5OT97-1.LOG = NA QSO PARTY JANUARY 1997
N5OT97-2.LOG = NA SPRINT CW FEBRUARY 1997

1996

EEN96-1.LOG  = NA QSO PARTY JANUARY 1996
OTU96-1.LOG  = CQWW 160 METER CW JANUARY 1996
OTU96-2.LOG  = NA SPRINT CW FEBRUARY 1996
OUT96-3.LOG  = NA SPRINT PHONE FEBRUARY 1996
OTU96-4.LOG  = ARRL DX CW FEBRUARY 1996
OTU96-5.LOG  = CQWW 160 METER SSB FEBRUARY 1996
OTU96-6.LOG  = ARRL DX SSB MARCH 1996
OTU96-7.LOG  = NA SPRINT CW SEPTEMBER 1996

1995

OTU95-1.LOG  = NA QSO PARTY AUGUST 1995 - IN CT FORMAT
OTU95-2.LOG  = NA SPRINT SEPTEMBER 1995
OTU95-3.LOG  = CQWW SSB OCTOBER 1995
OTU95-4.LOG  = SS SSB NOVEMBER 1995
OTU95-5.LOG  = CQWW CW NOVEMBER 1995
OTU95-6.LOG  = ARRL 160 METER CONTEST DECEMBER 1995
W6UE95-1.LOG = NA QSO PARTY JANUARY 1995
W6UE95-2.LOG = NA SPRINT FEBRUARY 1995

'Has worked good for over 10 years.  It also facilitates having the log of
more than one station in the same contest in your records at the same time.
 Tree's new method will allow me to look at these files without copying and
renaming them "LOG.DAT" one at a time.  Good plan, Tree.

I have also always kept all my LOGCFG.DATs in a separate directory of
configuration files with descriptive filenames with .CFG.  That way, it is
easy to dig up last year's LOGCFG.DAT file and recycle it, going through it
first to upgrade it to the current version of the program.  You just move
it to your actual on-the-air directory and rename it LOGCFG.DAT.  This has
the added advantage of: when you tweak your CW messages during the SS one
year, your already tweaked CW messages are there waiting for you the next
year, so you don't have to re-invent the wheel.  Nothing worse than
starting from scratch when you know how much effort you put into it the
year before but can't find the file.

The only hard-and-fast rule is to move the files out of your working
directory before your next operating project.  Of course, usually this
happens when I sit down to set up my computer for the next contest.
Unfortunately, these days that's about 20 minutes before the contest
("let's see, was it KEYER PORT or KEYER OUTPUT PORT?").

I guess I have always assumed "there is no easy way to do this."

Mark, N5OT

So Tree, no chance of breaking the 8-character barrier in FileNames any
time soon?   :)