[TRLog] Setup

Subject: [TRLog] Setup
From: kk5ib@bscn.net (Darryl J. Kelly)
Date: Fri, 7 May 1999 21:54:06 -0500
This is my first request, and it's simple but I haven't found an answer in
the archives, so only thing I know to do is ask. I need to know the details
of the keyer circuit from the computer to the radio. I have an
AMD K6 computer with both serial ports available, and currently have
connected an MFJ computer  to radio cable from comm 2 to the cat connection
on an FT-990. I am using the free version of TR to test, the program works
to communicate between the computer and radio, function keys, CW to
computer, frequency and band changes, and logging. Also running Windows 98
in MS-DOS boot mode. I have the manual printed. Questions: It all that is
needed the 1K resistor and transistor, computer connection and plug to key
jack? What about length of cable, computer to radio is about 5 feet, and
where should the components be located, close to computer or radio, or does
it matter? What about shielding of cable and components, or is any bypass
capacitors required? Any other transistors recommended or any particularly
that will not work? I would appreciate any other information based upon
experiences both good and bad, what to do and what not to do. Also currently
don't have any adverse interaction between computer and radio, and am not
running an amplifier nor do I intend to in the future. I do run balanced
feedline from a tuner to a center fed zepp at 40 feet. You may reply
personally so as not to clutter up the reflector. Thanks for help.
73,
Darryl, KK5IB