[TRLog] F1 versus Carriage Return delay

Subject: [TRLog] F1 versus Carriage Return delay
From: n6tr@teleport.com (n6tr@teleport.com)
Date: 2 Nov 1999 06:42:19 -0000

Someone posted a message indicating that the F1 key was causing a
delay before sending the CQ, where using the RETURN didn't.

I have one possible explantion for this:

The first time you hit F1 or RETURN when the program is started up,
an overlay is read into memory from the hard disk.  On some machines,
this might take a quarter of a second.  I was able to induce a
noticable delay by disabling SMARTDRV and running my computer at
8 MHz.  However, the second time you press either key, there is
no delay.

Is it possible this is what is being seen?  There really isn't much
of anything different between the code for the two different keys.

Tree