[TRLog] What Happened?

Subject: [TRLog] What Happened?
From: n2jt@fast.net (Jack Trampler)
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 1999 14:05:18 -0500
I don't believe it.  Went into the SS as a first time QRP station with my
new Elecraft K2.  Made 431 contacts and 77 sections, all with 5 watts.  I
was totally thrilled, UNTIL..........

I went to run the log through POST and it said I had 48 contacts.  What?????
I examined the dat file and for some reason contacts 48 - 425 are ALL
MISSING!  Contacts 1 - 47 are there and contact 426 is "busted" and 427 -
431 are all okay (the last 5 are probably from when the contest is over and
it flushes the editable display).  What a bummer.  After 20 hours and enough
points to have taken first place QRP in NNJ last year and all I get is a big
zippo!

I have an idea what happened and maybe Tree can validate this.  About an
hour into the contest I realized I did not have the Floppy Save enabled.  I
enabled it for 25 QSO's.  I set the floppy file name as SS99CW, the same as
my contest log.  Unfortunately I did not enter the floppy path in the name
"A:\SS99CW" and as such it did not save to the floppy.  I should have
realized it as backups were very fast, but it didn't register.  It probably
just overwrote my log every time it saved the file, but should that have
caused my log to come up empty?  During the contest everything was working
fine, including the ability to alert to "duped" QSO's or new sections.  I
would think if the log was empty or corrupt during the contest it wouldn't
necessarily be able to find duped contacts or new sections.  If the floppy
back up is the cause, maybe a note in the Control-J menu reminding one to
insert the path would help someone like me who only contests on a
semi-regular basis.

Help!  Is there anything I can do right now?  TR still indicates 431 Qs, 77
Secs & 66374 points.  Any ideas?

73,
Jack Trampler - N2JT
n2jt@fast.net