[TRLog] Sequence number problems

Subject: [TRLog] Sequence number problems
From: k2av@contesting.com (Guy Olinger, K2AV)
Date: Fri, 03 Dec 1999 12:56:22 -0500
We had problems all through the CQWWCW  with serials getting out of
synch. In the end it doesn't matter, but what about the WPX...

We need a command to force the serial to a correct value on a given
computer, if the serial fix turns out to be one of those awful things.

As a matter of perspective, we only try this stuff because we have TR
in the first place, and all these features keep getting added...

On Fri, 3 Dec 1999 09:41:45 -0800, you wrote:

>We've now used TR Log for 5 contests here at W6YX (CQP and both modes SS and
>CQWW) and have encountered sequence numbering problems in every contest.  We
>have a 486 interfaced to an IC761 set up for keying on CW and no radio
>control.  This is networked to a laptop 486 that has no radio interface at
>all (yet).  Here is our config file for the interfaced computer:
>
>MY CALL = W6YX
>CONTEST = SWEEPSTAKES
>DISPLAY MODE = COLOR
>KEYER RADIO ONE OUTPUT PORT = PARALLEL 1
>PADDLE PORT = 1
>MULTI PORT = SERIAL 1
>COMPUTER ID = A
>
>The other computer has no PADDLE or KEYER PORT config and is set up as ID =
>B.  Both computers were booted up in DOS (I'm not sure what versions).
>
>The symptom that we see is that a QSO is occasionally not transmitted from
>one computer to the other.  In CW SS this occurred once in 1058 QSOs.  In
>Phone SS it occurred 3 times in 1741 QSOs, alternating between computers, so
>that the sequence numbers were resynchronized after the second transmission
>loss, but got out of sync again later.  This is a real nuisance because we
>have to remember to send a number one higher than is displayed on the
>lagging computer.  It also caused us to send the same sequence number to two
>stations before we realized it.  Our rate was slowed down by an occasional
>"Oops, sorry, you should have been number 'N+1'".
>
>After CW SS we assumed the problem was caused by frequent editing with
>ALT-E.  During Phone SS we didn't use ALT-E at all, instead noting all
>corrections with notes.  It still happened.  I had to merge the CQWW logs
>from the two computers for both Phone and CW because one or two contacts
>hadn't transferred to the other computer.
>
>Is there a configuration setting that can be changed to prevent this from
>happening?  Is there a way to ensure that all QSOs are transferred between
>computers?  I would think that for a contest where a single serial number
>has to be shared between computers this could be more easily enforced.  If
>the program can't do it automatically, then perhaps there should be a manual
>way of forcing synchronization.
>
>I've been busy at work lately so I haven't had a chance to go to the shack
>to test any theories about how the QSO transmission fails.  One or two of
>the failures seemed to coincide with a time when the (non-)receiving
>computer was being used for composing or posting a note.
>
>Other than the sequencing problem, we've only encountered a small number of
>annoying behaviors:
>
>1. Correction of a callsign or band using ALT-E doesn't adjust the
>multiplier status of the station.  We had worked 6V6U very early on 20M in
>CQWW CW, but our operator thought he'd worked B4BU (don't ask me why...) and
>then corrected the call.  Later in the contest I noticed that the multiplier
> [...]

--.  .-..
73, Guy

Guy Olinger, K2AV
k2av@contesting.com