[TRLog] Sequence number problems

Subject: [TRLog] Sequence number problems
From: ua9cdc@dialup.mplik.ru (Igor Sokolov)
Date: Sat, 4 Dec 1999 10:24:20 +0500
:Whoa.... copying log.dat from one computer to another is a VERY bad idea
:unless EVERY QSO was logged correctly without any editing (in the editable
:window or at least before they are sent to the network).

We do not do editing, it does not get passed over the network. We put it
Ctrl-N note which find its way to all the other computers. Besides there is
usually a RUN station and mult station. RUN computer log is a MASTER log and
we make sure it is always correct, but in addition to that some precautions
could be done when executing COPY LOG TO NETWORK COMPUTERS command. For
instance previouse logs could be saved under different name automatically.
Anyway for the last 2 years we always did it that way and never had
problems. Sometimes network computer can HANG and you may loose last 5 qso.
Then the only way to get back to sync is to copy a correct version of
log.dat to that computer.
: Each computer
:contains data for all the stations - only the actual QSOs made using that
:computer should be considered correct. Edits are not passed along the
:network.

Just do not do edits. Do Ctrl-N.

:Here, if we need to sync the numbers one enters a dummy QSO (your own call
:or something safe) on the lagging computer and then ALT Y's it from the
:other computer(s). Obviously if the other computers are busy making QSO's
:at the same time it is a distraction.

What if you get the difference of more that 5 QSO? How do you mend that?

Igor, UA9CDC
:
:73 Don
:VE6JY