[TRLog] What does POST UEFF have against VY1JA?

Subject: [TRLog] What does POST UEFF have against VY1JA?
From: vr2bg@harts.org.hk (VR2BrettGraham)
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2000 07:11:16 +0000
Tree replied:

> > Did Tree miss J in SS once or something?  Or could it be that POST doesn't
> > like single character length names?  Does anybody out there ever notice
> that
> > you say hi to Doug when you work K1AR?  Or perhaps is all this because
> > POST is meant to go wonky at VR2BG?  ;^)
>
>Oh - I didn't realize you were entering "J" for his name.  Once upon
>a time, I had some database corruption issues and I put some code
>in there to filter out names that didn't look right.  I think that
>code is what is doing him in.  Try Jay for the name and see if it
>works okay.
>
>I'll take out the filtering as I don't think it is needed any more.

Ah ha!  This would explain it.  Problem of course is that his name is J,
not Jay, which was recently reinforced in the recent NCJ.  I'll try to see if
this is it.  In the meantime, can I embed a character like ^ in a name?
I'd rather say HI J^OB, rather than HI JAY & risk irritating The Man From
Yukon.  Don't want to risk this multiplier come next ARRL DX!  ;^)

>There was some "cute" features that called K1AR Doug and K1DG Bob.
>Maybe HC8N and a few other of my close friends were also in there.
>However, I think they finally paid me enough money to take those
>features out of the current version.

I think it was either KR2Q or KQ2M that it would "bust", too.  The giveaway
was that in the name window, the name shown would not be in all
upper case.  Figured it was something like that - what's really surprising
is that nobody else seemed to notice.... kinda like the program saying
88 in All Asia.

Now, could it be that Brand-C has an equally cute feature where it logs
sending a serial number different than what had actually been sent?
This would explain all my supposedly busted exchanges in the ARRL 10m!

73, VR2BrettGraham