[TRLog] Parallel Port CW Keying Troubles

Subject: [TRLog] Parallel Port CW Keying Troubles
From: compcoach_2000@yahoo.com (Ron Angle)
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2000 23:21:29 -0700

-----Original Message-----
From:   Bob Wolbert, K6XX [SMTP:k6xx@jps.net]
Sent:   Wednesday, October 18, 2000 10:34 PM
To:     trlog@contesting.com
Subject:        RE: [TRLog] Parallel Port CW Keying Troubles

I'll second Dave's observations... when operating portable, with poor
grounds, etc., the serial output will reliably key the rig when the
parallel
port key output locks up. I have yet to lash up a station with such
horrible
grounding that the serial port latches!
[Ron Angle K6KYJ]  During the CQ-P, I used a Hertz (end fed) and had
initial lockup problems with the parallel port board.  I shortened all of
my ground leads to the minimum length, clipped a ground lead to a chassis
nut on the CPU, and slightly moved the XCVR.  Problem cleared up. Next year
I am going to try an artificial ground system.  I usually also take along a
hand full of clamp on RF chokes from Radio Shack; sometimes they help
dramatically.

If you are unable to solve the parallel port problem, you can do
rig control AND cw keying from the one serial port. In fact, I have
found that the serial port is more immune to rfi than the parallel
port, so it is my preferred hookup.

Dave Hachadorian, K6LL
Yuma, AZ
K6LL@juno.com