[TRLog] 2 Items

Subject: [TRLog] 2 Items
From: n0ss@earthlink.net (Tom Hammond NØSS)
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 10:40:52 -0600

> > I have a problem with TR on my Toshiba laptop as follows. A
> software/hardware
> > conflict seemingly causes computer lockup when floppie save to drive A: is
> > attempted during CW. I do not know if this is a general problem or just a
> > quirk of my specific Toshiba Satellite (it is completely loaded with
> memory -
> > to the max). This "bug" is in ALL contests - not related to any particular
> > file. It has same symptoms as RF feedback into the keyboard, but RF is NOT
> > the cause (happens even with no RF output from RIG). I found this out the
> > hard way in FD, IOTA and other contests. Any help on this will be
> appreciated.

Add the following to your AUTOEXEC.BAT file:

LH C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\SMARTDRV.EXE a+ c+

This should be all that's required to rectify your problem.

TRLog's message CW sending routine is halted during the time that the PC is
writing to the diskette.

This problem usually doesn't show up until you have a fairly large number
of Q's in the log, so it takes a while to write the log. But adding the
above line will cache the output and return control to TRLog almost
immediately.

The first year I operated from Belize (V31TP) in the ARRL DX CW, was also
the first year we'd used TRLog in a high-rate contest, and when we got to
2K Q's we really started noticing that the delay during diskette wrotes was
becoming a BIG problem... and an even BIGGER problem once we reached >4K Q's.

The NEXT year, on the suggestion of K6LL, we added the above line to the
AUTOEXEC.BAT file and never(!) EVER noticed when the log data were being
backed up to diskatte... it was completely seamless.

GOod luck,

Tom Hammond   N0SS