[TRLog] TS850 voice keyer

Subject: [TRLog] TS850 voice keyer
From: k6ll@juno.com (David O Hachadorian)
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2002 22:11:21 +0000
On Wed, 23 Jan 2002 19:29:57 -0600 "Tom and Linda Hellem"
<redpines@cybrzn.com> writes:

> Gentlemen:
> Does anyone know of a way to key the internal voice keyer in the 850
> using
> the keyboard in TR similar to the way it can be done with the W9XT
> contest
> card?
> I have the IF232C interface for the 850.
> After using a W9XT card with TR last weekend, I will never go back
> to the
> old button pushing on the front panel of the rig.
> Thanks for any suggestions.

The 850 has an accessory jack on the back, ACC 3, which is used
for several different functions, including DRU playback. It's
just a plain mono 1/8"
phono jack. The various different functions are triggered by
hanging a different value of resistor across the jack. This is
covered on page 51 of the 850 manual.

For example, to trigger PLAY-1, you hang a 150 ohm resistor
across there. So, here's how to trigger PLAY-1 from DVK-1:
Use a small Courier font to display this diagram correctly.

                           wall-wart
                           +12vdc        150 ohms
                             |        |--/\/\/---*--ACC3 center
                             |        |
                            relay     > /
                            coil       /___________ACC3 shield

                 1K         |/
LPT pin 3(DVK1)--/\/\/\-----|  2N2222
                            |\

LPT pin 1 (strobe)----------------wall-wart gnd

The relay is a little Radio Shack 12vdc reed relay.
The transistor can be any small npn switching transistor.

Build two similar circuits for PLAY-2 and PLAY-3.

For PLAY-2/DVK-2 the 1K connects to LPT pin 4. Use 270 ohms
instead of 150.

For PLAY-3/DVK-3, the 1K connects to LPT pin 5. Use 412 ohms
(390+22) instead of 150.

Tie the 150, 270, and 412 ohm resistors together at the little
asterisk (*) in the above diagram, as is shown in the Kenwood
manual on page 51.

I tried doing this open-collector style, without the relays
and the wall wart, but I found it to be
very susceptible to RFI, and the values of the resistors
had to be lowered experimentally to compensate for the transistor
saturation voltage. It's better to use the relays.

Dave Hachadorian, K6LL
Yuma, AZ
K6LL@juno.com