[TRLog] IFSHLP.SYS

Subject: [TRLog] IFSHLP.SYS
From: pkirley@neonramp.com (Paul Kirley)
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 19:49:45 -0600
The question was asked:
I have recently found a windows thing named IFSHLP to spoil
CW timing. Win98 won't run without it, and it is hard to get rid of. Where is
the beast started?

I went to www.microsoft.com, typed IFSHLP into the site search engine and
followed the resulting leads, including viewing the interiors of various binary
files on my own Win 98 machine (which is NOT the one on which I run TRLog).

As I read the text portions of those binary files, it appears that Windows
Virtual Memory Manager file VMM32.VXD loads as a device the Installable File
System Manager IFSMGR.VXD, which in turn loads the Installable File System
Helper Driver IFSHLP.SYS.

What this seems to mean is that the beast IFSHLP is started where/when Windows
is started.  So don't start Windows.

I strongly feel that DOS 6.22 is the best environment for TRLog.  I have an old
Pentium 60 /DOS 6.22/ Windows 3.11 machine on which I have a CONFIG.SYS menu
that enables convenient selection of TRLog or "normal" Win 3.11 operation at
boot.  This also enables pointing to the contest directory of the moment in the
TRLog portion of the AUTOEXEC.BAT file (selected by the %CONFIG% environment
variable set by the CONFIG.SYS menu), so that the machine can boot straight to
TRLog under DOS 6.22 for the current contest.  Naturally the TRLog selection
loads nothing that I think is extraneous.

73, Paul W8TM