[TRLog] TR CW woes

Subject: [TRLog] TR CW woes
From: mark@concertart.com (Mark Beckwith)
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2003 13:57:21 -0600
> LH C:\windows\smartdrv.exe a+ c+
> LH C:\dos\smartdrv.exe a+ c+
> Which is it?

I was just up at N5OT this morning trying to mess with this.  Here's what I
found would make SmartDrive work on MY system.

I noticed the EXACT discrepancy between N0SS's email and the TR manual.  I
also noticed my boot constantly returned a message "error in CONFIG.SYS" and
pointing to the line that said this.  It would do this for both N0SS's
recommendation and the manual's.  I also noticed that if you type "smartdrv"
at the prompt it would do something, so I knew the smartdrv.exe was being
found in c:\ and would run straight from the prompt.

So, I added the statement to AUTOEXEC.BAT (not CONFIG.SYS) saying

smartdrv c+

After it booted successfully, I typed the statement "smartdrv" at the c:\
prompt and it returned a listing of what was and what was not cached - c:
was write-cached and that is what we want.  I tested the program and the
hesitation was gone.

This particular machine runs ONLY DOS.  I am not concerned about the
histrionics of going back and forth from windows to DOS and all that which
we were talking about earlier.  The TR on my windows machine works great
without touching a thing.

I had a personal best in the NAQP CW even with all the computer delay - I
was using the DOS only machine on the main rig and the Windows machine on
the second radio.  I did notice the delay, however, but it was not critical.
All the hesitant messages had initial spaces ("_") so the hesitation was
never on a key-down.

Mark, N5OT