[Trlog] Who Will Kill TRlog?

Subject: [Trlog] Who Will Kill TRlog?
From: k2av at contesting.com (Guy Olinger, K2AV)
Date: Sat Feb 22 10:59:06 2003
I've lost track of the number of software migrations I've had to be
involved with in 4 decades of computer work. Think that may have to do
with repression of painful memories.

In truth, if one talks about going from one kind of program system to
another different kind of program system, the commercial world
changeover of essential systems software can be anywhere from
difficult to impossible and has been known to cause a company to fail.

The trick is a plan that is a gradual merge of the old and the new.
Tree does not have the resources to flash cut, corporations cannot
take that much money from cash flow, the government gets in trouble
finding tax money for it.

My personal take is not the flash cut. I've seen so very few
successful ones in my lifetime that it just doesn't emerge in my mind
as a viable path. I KNOW how hard it is to port a complex program like
TRLog. You cannot imagine how much money SAS Institute spent porting
their product from PL-1 to C in the early 90's.

I'm talking about SOLVING THE WINDOWS ENVIRONMENT AND TAKING THE STEPS
NECESSARY TO COMMUNICATE OUTSIDE THE WORLD OF SERIAL PORTS. This is
likely some mix of inventions, inside and outside of TRLog.

As in named pipes? As in communicating via posting to a network disk
file? As in a central TRLOG server? As in a com port masquerade? As in
???

If TRLog cedes the multis to the WriteLogs, etc, just because of
network connections, then all the operators that get their wings and
first training at the multis will come out familiar/salted to the
other programs.

Most of us understand family life. Never a complaint about time to
raise kids. Been there, etc. We understand limited resources. 40 years
of understanding limited resources, privately and commercially.

As to who could help? Two people have the source code, and those two
people set the priorities as to what gets worked on.

In 2015 getting a 486 working will be the same thing as my current
restoration of a 75A3. Put off dealing with this collection of
problems until then and TRLog WILL be dead. LONG dead.

73, Guy.