[Trlog] Who Will Kill TRlog?

Subject: [Trlog] Who Will Kill TRlog?
From: ai9x at arrl.net (Tony AI9X)
Date: Sat Feb 22 15:41:43 2003
Hello everyone,
    I wanted to add a few points since my last post. I use TR on a 486 that
got for free, and can run under DOS or Win95 so to get telnet spots, email
and Instant Messaging (used in SS). I enjoy the program, and am still at the
beginner level (not comfortable with running stations yet, so mostly S&P).
Reading email is painfully slow at best, but TR runs fine. I use the
parallel port BTW, and don't have radio control or anything neat like that.

    I don't think its an issue of how the program is written, but more of
the
underlying technology that needs to be addressed (serial ports, network,
bios, etc). So re-writing it as others have said would cause a split in the
userbase - and probably is not the best outcome.

    If we cannot keep older PC style hardware around, for whatever reason,
then
making TR portable is the answer. Since its an compiled executable, a
"wrapper" around the TR.exe file to make it run on _anything_ is what's
needed. Windows, Linux, Mac, DOS, Netware, PDA, Tablet PC's - its a
fundamental interface problem. I'd love to run on a fast machine to have all
the networking/spots/email/whatever - and maybe the core application needs
to have more transparent interfaces to all its external hooks so that it
continues to work. I'm sure running TR on a P4 would require an airbag in
the monitor if it ever stopped suddenly. A port would be a big effort, and
by then, the game plan would be changed.

    Tree & Ron - keep up the good work. I will try and keep that Gateway
running, and I have a few extra 486's that a co-worker was tossing out. My
ideas about Perl and Java were meant in the best context, and maybe Pascal
has something similar that could be considered. Think portability.

    Don't forget some new ideas: client/server for multi's or thin-client
(remote server & database). Yes, I know its "just" a contesting program, but
once new interfaces are developed, who know what's possible (general logging
software with a database?).

Thanks for the bandwidth folks.

73,
Tony, AI9X