[Trlog] RE: TRLog with USB to Serial port adapter

Subject: [Trlog] RE: TRLog with USB to Serial port adapter
From: tod at k0to.us (Tod - Minnesota)
Date: Mon Jun 16 14:26:20 2003
Ed:

I went to the ByteRunner site and found the USB units. There are drivers for
Win98,WinME and WinXP -- but nothing explicitly for DOS. The site says the
following:

"These USB Serial Adapters are designed to make serial port expansion quick
and simple. Connecting to a USB port on your computer or USB hub, the USB
Serial Adapters instantly add serial communication ports to your system. By
taking advantage of the USB bus, the USB Serial Adapter makes it easier than
ever to add serial ports and serial devices to your system with easy
plug-and-play and hot plug features. Plugging the USB Serial Adapter to the
USB port, the adapter is automatically detected. There are no IRQ & COM port
conflicts since the port doesn't require any additional IRQ, DMA, or memory
as resources on the system. "

The driver description says:

"FTDI's Virtual COM Port ( VCP ) Drivers appear to the system as an extra
Com Port ( in addition to any existing hardware Com Ports ). Application
software accesses the USB device in the same way as it would access a
standard Windows Com Port using the Windows VCOMM API calls or by using a
Com Port  Library. "

All of that begs the question of how one makes the connection between the
TRLog code and the FTDI/Windows code. The start of this thread dealt with a
program, SETCOMM, that I gather 'plugged' different base addresses into
memory so that the TRLog code would look in the correct memory locations for
the expected COM bytes and send I/O instructions to the correct IO Port
address. I am not sure if that will work for this mapping of the COM ports.
I guess one should have to look at the VCOMM API and its calls to decide if
it can be done. I suppose my next search should be for documentation about
that API.

Tod, KOTO