Re: [Trlog] More wish list -- manual

To: "D. R. Evans" <N7DR@arrl.net>
Subject: Re: [Trlog] More wish list -- manual
From: Jim Smith <jimsmith@shaw.ca>
Date: Tue, 04 Nov 2003 15:24:58 -0800
Hi Doc,

I run TR in a Windows DOS box, sometimes full screen and sometimes in a window.
PIII 500 MHz
Win 98SE
128 MB RAM
Matrox G400 Dual Head video card
Net access via cable modem (and router)
AWE64 Creative Sound card

When I run TR I never bother to shut stuff down. Typically, while running TR, I'll see the following icons in the taskbar at the bottom of the screen:
Dimension 4 - keeps my computer clock slaved to WWV
2 instances of Windows Explorer
Daytimer
Netscape (6.22 ugh) e-mail
Netscape ditto browser - sometimes more than one instance
Texturizer - a full featured text editor

In the System Tray I see:
Task Scheduler
Video card tools - so can change screen resolution, turn 2nd monitor on or off etc
Intellipoint mouse
Antivirus scheduler
Volume Controls
PrintNow - a screen capture utility
Zone Alarm Firewall
Mail Call - a utility I use for checking my ISPs server for e-mail and deleting spam before it gets downloaded to me

I have never had a problem with TR which I could trace to any of this stuff . I don't do SO2R. I do use sbdvp in phone contests.

I have a 2nd monitor connected to the Matrox G400. While running TR I often have such things on the 2nd monitor as
my complete log for the contest
propagation info - in Oct 03 SS I was watching 1 minute updates to the Solar X-Ray Flux graph as the 2 big flares came through.
DX Summit if I'm trying to use spots. (Don't have enought serial ports to do it properly
Haven't tried it but I could probably run Acrobat Reader there so I have the manual on-line. Acrobat reader 6 is such a pig, though, that I would expect problems, (such as the window that pops up every couple of minutes telling me it's trying to connect to the Net. Forget - no way you're calling home!)

To use the 2nd monitor I have to run TR in a window, not full-screen. Otherwise the 2nd monitor is blank.

To get the most useful window size I play with the screen font sizes until I get something I like. Currently it's set to 12x16 non-TrueType.

Hope this is of some use.

73 de Jim Smith VE7FO

D. R. Evans wrote:

Something that people could really help me with: the whole thing to do with system requirements. As we all know, TR-LOG is really an MS-DOS program, but I suspect that these days almost nobody is actually running it under MS-
DOS.

I would like to compile a complete list of OSes and circumstances under which TR-LOG is known to function flawlessly, and also a list of OSes under which it sort-of works (i.e., probably the CW is choppy).