Re: [Trlog] Help! SBDVP and HP Laptop

To: "Denny Sahovic" <radio@kx7m.net>, <kd4d@comcast.net>,<trlog@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Trlog] Help! SBDVP and HP Laptop
From: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 14:50:10 -0500
At 11:11 AM 11/11/03 -0800, Denny Sahovic wrote:
This problem has been posted, even before, by few laptop users. I could not
find the definite answer. Is it something that PnP cards do to DMA? Could it
be the problem with built in a conflict between built-in MIC on a laptop and
MIC-IN line? Or is it something in a Windows mixer setting, that doesn't
work in DOS window? I tried downloadind Yamaha DOS mixer, and I saw all the
settings for BLASTER, WSS.

I tried few different Laptops (NeoMagic, Yamaha) and ended up with the same
recording problem. As for running pure DOS setup, you have to be lucky to
find DOS drivers for the laptop soundcard.

I have had the same problem, even with a desktop, and even when running a plain vanilla SB-16 PCI card. So I think this eliminates a lot of laptop-specific or sound-card-specific causes. On the other hand, I routinely run an SB-16 ISA sound card under the same OS, in a DOS window, and it records and plays back just fine, thank you.

The only thing I can see is that this card, and maybe other PCI sound cards, installs in Win98 both as itself (SB PCI) and as an "SB PCI legacy device." In the former, Device Manager does not identify any DMA channels, while in the latter it identifies 2, one for 8-bit and one for 16-bit transfers. At a guess SBDVP is not finding the right DMA channel for input when it initializes, but why this happens and how to fix it are beyond me. It's too bad, because SBDVP does such a wonderful job of automating TR for phone operation.

73, Pete N4ZR The World HF Contest Station Database was updated October 29. 2469 stations are listed -- 29 new and over 100 updated. Are you current? www.pvrc.org/wcsd/wcsdsearch.htm