[Trlog] Making incorrect bandmap entries causes problems

To: TR-Log <trlog@contesting.com>
Subject: [Trlog] Making incorrect bandmap entries causes problems
From: Anthony Rodgers <arodgers@mac.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2004 22:13:59 -0700
Hi there,

VE7FO and I used TRLog for an M/S operation during FQP, and one of the activities we undertook was using one computer to tune the band looking for mults and then enter them into the bandmap, whereupon the main station would work them.

For various reasons, the radio we were using for the spotting station was not interfaced to TRLog, so we ended up with situations where a CW frequency would be entered while in SSB mode and vice versa.

This led to some (to us) strange behavior on the part of NEXTBANDMAP at the main station. The spot would appear in the bandmap for the mode for which it was entered. For example, a spot on 21045.0 would end up in the SSB bandmap if entered when the spotting computer was in SSB mode. Fair enough - but when NEXTBANDMAP was used on the main computer, TRLog would switch the radio mode and the bandmap to CW, making the bandmap entry we were trying to work disappear, and then tune the radio to the first unworked entry in the CW bandmap.

This made it impossible to get TRLog to tune the radio to the bandmap entry we wanted - it seems to me that TRLog should honor either a) the BAND MAP CUTOFF settings all the time and make entries into the appropriate bandmap regardless of the mode of the spotting computer or b) the as-entered mode all the time and allow NEXTBANDMAP to tune the radio within that mode regardless of the frequency.

Any thoughts, comments or suggestions are welcome.

73 de VA7IRL,
--
Anthony Rodgers
Email: VA7IRL@rac.ca