Re: [Trlog] Making incorrect bandmap entries causes problems

To: trlog@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Trlog] Making incorrect bandmap entries causes problems
From: VR2BrettGraham <vr2bg@harts.org.hk>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2004 01:08:48 +0000
VA7IRL commented:

VE7FO and I used TRLog for an M/S operation during FQP, and one of the
activities we undertook was using one computer to tune the band looking
for mults and then enter them into the bandmap, whereupon the main
station would work them.

For various reasons, the radio we were using for the spotting station
was not interfaced to TRLog, so we ended up with situations where a CW
frequency would be entered while in SSB mode and vice versa.

This led to some (to us) strange behavior on the part of NEXTBANDMAP at
the main station. The spot would appear in the bandmap for the mode for
which it was entered. For example, a spot on 21045.0 would end up in
the SSB bandmap if entered when the spotting computer was in SSB mode.

<snip>

Actually, if the spotting rig was interfaced to the computer, at times you
will find things from CW showing up in the SSB bandmap & vice versa.

It can also happen with spots received from the packet port.

I don't think I've seen any of this happen at VR2BG (current rigs: K2 &
IC706) since the introduction of FILTER RADIO MESSAGE LENGTH, but
that wouldn't explain why packet port spots are behaving themselves for
me now (not to mention that I rarely load the bandmap with anything
heard on the 706).

Tree apparently is totally reworking the radio interface code, so this all
might go away - otherwise it is something we should all have a close look
at when 6.80 is released.

73, VR2BrettGraham