[Trlog] ICOM 756ProII discovery

To: <trlog@contesting.com>
Subject: [Trlog] ICOM 756ProII discovery
From: "Tod Olson" <tod@k0to.us>
Date: Sun, 6 Jun 2004 10:38:03 -0600
Some time back I asked if anyone was having problems getting an ICOM
756ProII or similar radio to work with TR Log. I am not using the ICOM unit
(CT-17 I think) which converts the output of the radio to RS232 format. I am
using one of the designs which relies on using voltage from the RS232 port
to supply the chip which does the decoding. (My interface unit is made by
JBI). That interface (and several of those in the online documentation)
draws its power from the RTS pin and has keying done by the DTR pin. If the
RTS pin is not high the chip does not function at all. If you happen to use
DX4WIN you will find that you need to set the preferences for the radio to
have RTS high. Keying control is assigned to DTR. I have not checked, but I
think there might be a problem if RTS is used as the PTT control line.

Back to TR Log .

I have found that I must NOT use the following type of statement in the
config file if I wish the JBI interface to work properly. (My radio is on
COMM 2).

KEYER RADIO ONE OUTPUT PORT = SERIAL 2

Below is the set of statements that work for me. Note that I have used the
radio menu to set the radio address to 5C hex (92 decimal) rather than the
original 64 hex (100 decimal) and to set the baud rate to 4800 which allows
me to use the default baud rate in TR.

RADIO ONE TYPE = IC756PROII
RADIO ONE RECEIVER ADDRESS = 92
RADIO ONE CONTROL PORT = SERIAL 2

KEYER RADIO ONE OUTPUT PORT = PARALLEL 1

I am sending this out just in case I was not the only one having trouble
because of using incorrect CFG statements.

Tod, KØTO