Re: [Trlog] Multi-Network observations

To: TR Log Reflector <trlog@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Trlog] Multi-Network observations
From: Jim Smith <jimsmith@shaw.ca>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2004 11:43:00 -0700
I too noted that TR was showing hundreds of band changes. The 3 cfg items Charlie mentioned were not set in our set-up. i.e. just accepted the default values.

I concur with the request for a display of the individual station rates, both from a management perspective and to encourage competition among the operating positions.

73 de Jim Smith VE7FO

Charlie Ocker wrote:

In this past weekends Field Day "event", I was responsible for setting up TR on a 3 computer network. 2 machines were for logging (the group was in the 2A class), and the third was setup for "no log" and was used to dump packet cluster spots into the network.

The network was reliable and robust. No issues whatsoever.

But, there was some unexplained (at least to me) "weirdness" going on in regards to the rate display.

All 3 machines had the same variable set:

MULTI INFO MESSAGE = $ %

All 3 machines had the same display variable(s) set:

HOUR DISPLAY = THIS HOUR
RATE DISPLAY = QSO POINTS

All 3 machines had the bandmap enabled.

The "weirdness" is when the HOUR DISPLAY would start showing BAND CHANGES instead of QSO POINTS. The numbers were huge... 783, then 952, etc. We were NOT changing bands... this first occurred during the first few hours when both stations were running, and hadn't even changed frequencies. Sometime later, the HOUR DISPLAY would revert back to THIS HOUR. All 3 computers in the network would display the same thing. This behavior occurred throughout the 24 hours, and didn't follow any pattern in regard to rates or packet cluster activity.

The following is not a bug report, per se, but rather a request for improvement. Is there any way that TR can display the individual stations QSO rate (or points) in addition to the networked sum? This would be most useful for making real time band/mode change decisions. I believe that CT does this, but of course, I would never consider using CT unless forced to do so at gunpoint or demanded by a station owner.

73,
Charlie  N9CO