[Trlog] Fwd: Full callsign.wav file Repository?

To: trlog@contesting.com
Subject: [Trlog] Fwd: Full callsign.wav file Repository?
From: Eric Hilding <dx35@hilding.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2004 13:10:49 -0700
For TR CW users who use the "other" logger for SSB, this is a copy of my Post to the "other" Reflector.

One of my goals has always been to eventually make full callsign.wav files available to mute hams if desired.

A novel idea just came to mind, which may appeal to those without high-quality recording capabilities. I'll probably get Flamed on this one, but that's nothing new :-)

But to put things in perspective, I'm sure there are many CW ops who once claimed they would never surrender their own personal "fist" to computer generated CW. Many SSBers will probably shudder at the thought of using someone else's voice during a contest.

However...

For those of us embarking upon the laborious task of pre-recording full callsign.wav files & associated SSB Message stuff, I'm thinking now about possibly making my eventual SS .wav files available even to non-mute hams. At 22KHz, 16bit mono, an individual .wav file will run somewhere between 75KB and 100KB depending upon callsign length (shorter if a faster speech rate and short Vanity callsigns). Being conservative, 7,000 .wav files times 90KB each will be about 640MB which will just fit onto a CD-ROM (if I did the math correctly :-)

Due to the monster total file size, an online type Repository would not be very practical. However, if others were interested in doing the same thing with their pre-recorded files, some samples could be available on a webpage for different "voices" available. Maybe some *reasonable* fee for CD distribution of the files would be in order to those interested in a particular "voice" package to use, as well as any custom addition/recording of the end-user's callsign to be included with the batch of files.

Just some thoughts that came to mind today as a result of several personal direct emails received.

73...

Rick, K6VVA