Re: [Trlog] How I made a USB bootable stick

To: trlog@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Trlog] How I made a USB bootable stick
From: Tree <tree@kkn.net>
Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2005 12:59:26 -0800
On Sun, Oct 30, 2005 at 10:39:32AM -0800, Tree wrote:

> This wasn't as straightforward as I hoped it would be.  The first two
> methods I tried (the HP approch and the KD4D method) didn't seem to give
> me something that would work 100 percent.
>
> I ended up using this process:
>
> http://www.weethet.nl/english/hardware_bootfromusbstick.php
>
> but only up to a point.  After I had copied the boot sector to the USB
> stick, I didn't have the IO.SYS and MSDOS.SYS or COMMAND.COM files on
> the thumbdrive.  I knew that the IO.SYS had to be the first file on the
> drive, or things wouldn't work right.  So I copied IO.SYS, then MSDOS.SYS
> and then COMMAND.COM (in that order - one at a time) to the USB stick
> from my DOS boot disk and then things seemed to be working okay.

Well - while this boots on my shack's XP computer - it doesn't seem to
boot on my IBM Thinkpad T41 computer.  It complains about an IO error
on the disk.

Judging by the number of "failed to boot" issues we see on our server
products at Intel - I imagine there is a lot of "black magic" associated
with booting off of USB devices.  So - the YMMV warning applies.

As I find some time, I will try other techniques to see if I can come
up with a more robust solution that works in all cases.  Not sure if
that is possible - but perhaps executing the procedure above on the
laptop will produce different results.

Tree