[Trlog] Too late... but thanks.. VY1JA

To: trlog@contesting.com
Subject: [Trlog] Too late... but thanks.. VY1JA
From: "J. Allen" <vy1ja@northwestel.net>
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2005 05:17:54 +0000
Hi, All,

I am sure that the problems with my log were NOT caused by TR but by a confused
and tired operator.

I sent a zip file of the log directory to Tree, but honestly, I did not see
much in them.

When I started the contest, I was already burned out from a very heavy work
week.  I am sure of nothing which I did Saturday morning.

I know that it is too late for a lot of the help instructions I was given.  "do
not boot the computer", "do not run POST" and so on.  I mentioned that I ran
POST and know that I booted the Wndows 98SE laptop several times trying to find
the data.

The logging computer was only used for the contest and for running POST
aferwards.  Is it possible there might be some files that the computer still
has that are hidden to me?

I am actually learning computers now, and work on an Internet help desk... the
problem is that I know very little about tools for the older operating systems.

Is there some software tool you can recommend for me to use to search through
the hard drive to see if I am able to find the log somewhere in that laptop?

For now, I plan to use Google to search for Windows 98 undelete tools.  Perhaps
one of them can restore the files.

I am not afraid to get into it and search for key ASCII stuff like "CW" or
other expressions which are likely to appear in the SSCW logs if the system did
not overwrite them.  I can only hope that old files are abandoned and new ones
written in their place.   Is that the case???

I appreciate all the help which so many have given me over the years.