[ct-user] Creating a Bootable DOS CD

To: trlog@contesting.com, ct-user@contesting.com
Subject: [ct-user] Creating a Bootable DOS CD
From: Mark Bailey <kd4d@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 09:03:14 -0500
Good day, all:

I have released version 1.5 of my procedure for creating a bootable
DOS CD.  This CD can be used to boot almost any modern computer and
run DOS.  You can use the same procedure to create a bootable CD from
ANY bootable floppy disk that you have as well.

Jim Reisert, AD1C, has kindly placed the procedure document on the
CT web site.  See www.k1ea.com/hints, "Creating a Bootable DOS CD".

This procedure DOES NOT require that the computer have a floppy disk
drive (although you will need one if you want to create a bootable
CD from an actual bootable floppy disk).

All of the tools you need are available on the web for free download.
You can even download a bootable FreeDOS floppy disk image. (There
is also an MS-DOS disk image available).

The procedure is written for a WindowsXP computer...you do not need
to run DOS at all to create the CD and you can customize the CD's.

This can be used to run CT or TR under DOS.  The question then
becomes where to store the log file...

My thanks to everyone who helped me refine the procedure.  Comments
are always welcome!

73,

Mark, KD4D