Re: [Trlog] Serious problem with Trlog ver 6.85

To: trlog@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Trlog] Serious problem with Trlog ver 6.85
From: VR2BrettGraham <vr2bg@harts.org.hk>
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2006 23:07:50 +0000
VR2BG was M/S in WW CW, starting with 6.85 on both
machines.

About four hours into the contest I had finally figured out
how to configure things for networking, but both computers
were still beeping & the run rig was constantly telling me to
check the network.  Going through the logs afterwards, it
appears no QSOs were lost - amazing, I can imagine just
what was going on by using same computer ID on both!

The mult station ended up changing to 6.73 & then the
run rig with 6.85 stopped complaining about the network.

Before going to 6.73 on the mult station, I found that 6.85
not connected to a radio would band change by typing a
frequency into the call window (like 21000).

What we found really bad about 6.85 is that once a Q was
logged (hitting enter or ^-enter), it would take a long time
to clear call window, put Q into edit window & you could
see what you were typing for the next Q.

This really threw partner DL6RAI.  You can type blind, but
if you type a wrong key it's a real problem - and it seemed
that it took longer & longer as the weekend progressed
after logging a Q before key strokes would appear on
screen as the log grew... even with 50-60k free displayed.

We almost went to 6.73 on the run rig because of it.
IMHO, this is far more serious of a problem with 6.85
than alt-V/B.  Likewise how alt-Ds can put rubbish
into the bandmap, though at least you can delete them
(if you have the time).

I have used the same 6.73 for a long time now & it
also slowed down a bit logging Qs compared to no
network (even after I had things configured correctly).
Remember, this was with only a network port defined.

It would be interesting to hear if anyone else has used
6.85 with networking.

Oh yes, another 6.85 observation - after logging a
station, doing an alt-Z suggests that call is not in
TRMASTER, despite being there before working
that call.

And occasionally spots coming in on the network do
not appear in the bandmap despite appearing in ^B
window.  Deleting bandmap.bin was the way we
found to get around that.

73, VR2BrettGraham