[Trlog] Contest Country File Mods

To: trlog@contesting.com
Subject: [Trlog] Contest Country File Mods
From: Paul Kirley <pkirley@fuse.net>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2010 13:28:13 -0400
Having raised the issue of the overly large cty.dat file, I decided to try to
address the problem.

The file cty.dat is plain-text, and its format is fairly obvious.  My review of
the October 15 version indicated that there were two huge country entries,
China at 348 lines and Asiatic Russia at 354 lines.  The great majority of the
data for those two countries is zone data, rather than country data.

I looked at old versions of cty.dat that I happened to find on my machine,
specifically April 5 and October 5 of this year.  I copied their China and
Asiatic Russia portions respectively and cut each down to eliminate zone and
individual-station data (there wasn't much of the latter).

Then I used a text editor (Wordpad on my Win98SE machine) to paste the brief
resulting entries over those in the current October 15 version of cty.dat.
These two changes shrank cty.dat from 110 KB to 60 KB.  When I loaded the
modified cty.dat into TRLog, it started and appears to run OK.  Of course, it
no longer knows specific data for China and Asiatic Russia zones and/or
individual stations, so I will have to keep that in mind when working those two
countries.  It thinks that all of China is zone 24, and all of Asiatic Russia
is zone 17.

If you want to try this approach, copy the following entries and paste them
over the entire respective entries in AD1C's current version of cty.dat and use
the result in your TRLog directory.

China:                    24:  44:  AS:   40.00:  -116.40:    -8.0:  BY:
    3H,3I,3J,3K,3L,3M,3N,3O,3P,3Q,3R,3S,3T,3U,B1,B2,B3,B4,B5,B6,B7,B8,B9,BA,
    BD,BG,BH,BI,BL,BT,BY,BZ,XS;

Asiatic Russia:           17:  30:  AS:   67.18:  -104.00:    -7.0:  UA9:
    R0,R8,R9,RA0,RA8,RA9,RB0,RB8,RB9,RC0,RC8,RC9,RD0,RD8,RD9,RE0,RE8,RE9,RF0,
    RF8,RF9,RG0,RG8,RG9,RH0,RH8,RH9,RI0,RI8,RI9,RJ0,RJ8,RJ9,RK0,RK8,RK9,RL0,
    RL8,RL9,RM0,RM8,RM9,RN0,RN8,RN9,RO0,RO8,RO9,RP0,RP8,RP9,RQ0,RQ8,RQ9,RR0,
    RR8,RR9,RS0,RS8,RS9,RT0,RT8,RT9,RU0,RU8,RU9,RV0,RV8,RV9,RW0,RW8,RW9,RX0,
    RX8,RX9,RY0,RY8,RY9,RZ0,RZ8,RZ9,U0,U8,U9,UA0,UA8,UA9,UB0,UB8,UB9,UC0,UC8,
    UC9,UD0,UD8,UD9,UE0,UE8,UE9,UF0,UF8,UF9,UG0,UG8,UG9,UH0,UH8,UH9,UI0,UI8,
    UI9;

When you modify cty.dat, don't leave any blank lines and be certain to replace
the entire entry for each country, but nothing else.

Hopefully this will allow us to continue to benefit from AD1C's work, except
for China and Asiatic Russia.

If you notice missed prefixes for China or Asiatic Russia, please let me know,
as my manual deletions may have been overly aggressive.

73, Paul W8TM