Century 21 or 22 ???

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Century 21 or 22 ???
From: owen@apollo.eeel.nist.gov (James C. Owen, III)
Date: Tue, 2 Apr 1996 13:52:01 -0400 (EDT)
In message Tue, 2 Apr 1996 10:28:53 -0600 (CST),
  Kevin Anderson <anderson@ncrsun1.ncr.usace.army.mil>  writes:

> I am considering buying a used Century 21 or 22 from Ten
> Tec through their used service.  That appears to be all
> I can afford.  Some questions:
>
> Go with the 22 or is a 21 okay?

You won't go wrong with either of them-- however if it was me and I had the
money I'd go with the 22.

> If a 21, digital or analog (I've heard of dial cord stretching,
> etc., problems with the analog)?

I'm not a Century expert or even an owner but I don't think that the 21 ever
had a digital readout and I wouldn't worry about dial cord stretch in any
rig.

> Are the Century's DC or superhet?  If DC, is the filtering
> good to help with cutting double signal?

All Century's are DC receivers. Filtering is very good but there is no way
to get around hearing both sidebands at once, just takes getting use to.

> 40m will be my main band.  Are the Century's selective and
> sensitive enough to deal with today's 40m band?

There should be no real problem here unless the band is very crowded as
during a contest.

> Answers to these and any other information welcome.

One other comment--you might also consider the Ten-Tec ARGOSY either the
analog readout version on the newer ARGOSY II with digital readout.  You get
a little more power output (50 watts) a superhet receiver, better filtering
SSB for voice, digital readout and several other enhancements over the
Century. Of course you have to pay a little more (in my opinion-worth it)
about $450.00 + or - with the AC power supply. Hope this has helped.
73 Jim K4CGY