Century 21 or 22 ???

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Century 21 or 22 ???
From: vhatley@usa.pipeline.com (Vernon A. Hatley)
Date: Wed, 3 Apr 1996 08:38:50 -0500
On Apr 02, 1996 10:28:53, 'Kevin Anderson
<anderson@ncrsun1.ncr.usace.army.mil>' wrote:

>Hi gang,  I'm new to the Ten Tec list.  I joined as I need
>to replace my only rig (a Heath HW-16 that has lost too
>many electrolytics I cant't replace), and I am considering
>a Ten Tec for the quality and available service.
>
>I am considering buying a used Century 21 or 22 from Ten
>Tec through their used service.  That appears to be all
>I can afford.  Some questions:
>
>Go with the 22 or is a 21 okay?
>
>If a 21, digital or analog (I've heard of dial cord stretching,
>etc., problems with the analog)?
>
>Are the Century's DC or superhet?  If DC, is the filtering
>good to help with cutting double signal?
>
>40m will be my main band.  Are the Century's selective and
>sensitive enough to deal with today's 40m band?
>
>Answers to these and any other information welcome.
>
>Thanks.   Cheers/73.  Kevin, KB9IUA
>
>* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
>Kevin L. Anderson, CENCR-PD-W, U.S. Army Corps of Engineers
>Rock Island District Office, Planning Div.-Waterway Systems
>Rock Island, Illinois 61204-2004, USA  phone:(309) 794-5586
>e-mail:  anderson@ncrsun1.ncr.usace.army.mil
>* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
>Opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent the
>U.S. Army Corps of Engineers or the Federal Government.

Kevin,
     I've been using a C-21 for about a year with great success.  There is
no cord in the analog C-21; it is all gear driven.  So you don't need to
worry about that at all.  I do have a problem with broadcast stations on 40
meter though.  A very BIG problem.  Basically after 6 pm, I can't use 40
meter at all with the C-21.  Other than that, no problems.  I have worked
30 countries with it so 25-30 watts is plenty.  Hope this helps.
--
KK5RO                             Butternut Vertical
Vernon A. Hatley               Oak Hills Explorer II