MFJ keyer problems

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: MFJ keyer problems
From: vhatley@worldnet.att.net (Vernon A. Hatley)
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 1996 14:36:36 GMT
Gang,
        Is anyone else out there in Ten Tec land having problems with the
MFJ 401C keyer?  If I set mine on top or right next to my Omni V, sometimes
it sticks on dashes.  Move it away from the radio and it works fine.  The
SWR on the antenna is close to 1:1 so I don't think it is RF in the shack
and I do have a good grounding system in place.  I took the cover off the
keyer and guess what; no Curtis chip in there.  It uses an Intel chip of
some kind.
        Problem two.  If you try to put any weight on the keying at all, it
slurrs the dits togather and sounds terrible at the receiving end.  They say
to run a 3:1 weight on your dits and dahs; not with this keyer you don't.
        I have never liked this keyer much.  What do you guys recomend for
an excellent keyer?
--
KK5RO (Amateur Extra Class)             Ten Tec Omni V
Vernon A. Hatley                        OHR Explorer II 40 meter