Again .... Omni series vint

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Again .... Omni series vint
From: n4LQ@iglou.com (Steve Ellington)
Date: Sat, 24 Aug 1996 16:18:26 -0500
Things were starting to make sense until I saw this statement.

Final version was the series C.  This one came in digital only and was
identified as Omni D only.

Are you saying that Omni c's are really Omni D's when Omni D's actually
came out before Omni B's?

Wasn't the Omni C the first to have WARC bands but they could be added
as an option on the Onmi D?

Now we know why TenTec named the Omni.

Steve N4LQ@iglou.com

I am not sure if Steve has a bit of tongue in cheek, or is totally serious.
Yes indeedy, the Omni C was the last series of the old Omni radios, after
the series A and series B.  The name Omni D tells you only that it is an
Omni with digital readout, as Omni A tells you it is an omni with analog
dial.  It does not tell you if it is the first series or series A, the
second series B or the final series C.

I am not absolutely sure of the WARC bands, but I know the series A would
allow you to add the 12 and 30 meter bands, but not the 17 meter, while the
series C had them all.  Can not say on the series B, as I have not owned one
of those.

An awful lot of owners of the Omni radios do not have a clue as to which
series they own, and there is quite a bit of difference in the rigs, from a
price standpoint.

I make no claim to being any guru on Omni's, but have been interested enuff
to investigate a bit.  "73"