Centaur 411 Amp

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Centaur 411 Amp
From: sbookout@mnsinc.com (Steve Bookout)
Date: Sun, 22 Dec 1996 12:49:05 -0500 (EST)
Hello Paul, Steve, NJ4F, here.

I have owned a TITAN for several years and am wondering why, if arcing is
prevelant, TEN TEC doesn't do what is done with the TITAN, use polypropelene
with the caps.  In my amp there is, what appears to be, high density
polypropelene (HDPE) hanging between the plates of the tuning cap.  The
dielectric constant of HDPE is such that it increases the effective voltage
rating of the cap.
I have modifyed caps like this using cut up plastic milk jugs; not pretty
but it works.

This problem reminds me of the same kind of problem the SB 220's had.  There
was a replacement cap available which was longer and had a higher rating.

Good luck and I will be watching to see what the outcome of this is.

73 de Steve, NJ4F