solid state kit

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: solid state kit
From: sales@tentec.com (Ten-Tec Inc.)
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 1996 16:13:37 Eastern Standard Time
Hello all:

At 07:25 PM 12/27/96 -0500, you wrote:
>Well Tentec what do you think?  Its been one day and look at the response
>that has
>happened so far! I think a solid state HF amp would be great.  Also I would
>think a 6meter kit would be a bigggggggg seller. This would be a great
>addition to go along with the T-kit 20-6m transverter.  I have talked to TT
>in the past about a 6m
>amp and they say that FCC rules would not allow such an amp.  If that is so
>then why are there other companies making  these amps.  Come on TT lets build
>these kits!!!!!!!!!

The 6 meter amplifier law, to rehash, is this:  The FCC will not type
accept a linear amplifier for sale for use below 144 MHz that is driven
to full rated output with less than 50 watts of drive power.  That is
also why you do not see QRP HF linears for sale (like "5 in, 50 out" etc.)
You're thinking, yeah, but, XYZ sells one like that, and so does....
The answer is that they are in violation of the law, but the FCC is not
enforcing it at this time.

This includes offering the amplifier in kit form.

If the FCC changes the law, we would certainly give a 6 meter amplifier
consideration as a future kit project.

73, Scott Robbins W4PA at Ten-Tec