solid state kit

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: solid state kit
From: rohre@arlut.utexas.edu (rohre)
Date: 31 Dec 1996 16:26:27 -0600
Reality Check Time re a 500 watt TRANSISTOR amplifier Kit!  Look at the
proposed 13.8 Volt operation.  Look at the OHMS LAW for this operation!  Who
builds such transformers?  Who can afford them?

The other way high power amplifiers with transistors at HF is done is with a
series of amplifiers and a combiner, a not inconsequential bit of
construction, to make IDENTICAL HF Amps, so the power adds and combines with
EQUAL contribution from each sub assembly.

Now I know some of the kit builders are GOOD, but-----

The only practical way to develop higher power is to use higher voltage
transistors or FETS.  Makes a pretty complicated kit.

Don't you wonder why the vast majority of Linear manufacturers are still using
Tube Finals? The power supply and tubes for that cost A LOT LESS than the
solid state solution.

It was a nice thought, but probably will be awhile before the prices come down
on such.   And with LEO satellites, there might NOT be the demand for high
power solid state, as we see communications and broadcast services gradually
go the LEO wireless cable route or similar, but then again------

Might be a spur to high power solid state if the HOPI Prophecies come true,
and electricity as we know it, goes away, (listen to fellow ham Art Bell's
syndicated Talk Show! ) :-)  Happy New Year!

73, Stuart K5KVH

--
FAQ on WWW:               http://www.contesting.com/tentecfaq.html