Remote Tuning knob

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Remote Tuning knob
From: sales@tentec.com (Ten-Tec Inc.)
Date: Fri, 03 Jan 1997 12:28:55 Eastern Standard Time
BRANNIGAN[SMTP:FSWF37A@prodigy.com] wrote:
>>I was disappointed to hear that you have discontinued production of
>>the remote tuning knob.
>>I would like to homebrew one for my Omni VI.
>> Any information  that you could provide (parts, schematic) would be
>>appreciated.
>>
>>73, Jim WB2TPS
>
>Jim,
>
>I don't know if your message is in response to those I have sent regarding
my experience building a 301, or if you have received any other responses,
but.....

>Contact Ten-Tec Service Department (423-453-7172) and ask for whatever
parts they have that comprise the 301.  It may, depending on what parts they
have remaining cost about 60 dollars.  As to documentation, you don't need
any.  The parts list is amazing light.

>Here is a summary parts list of needed items:
>
>1.  rotary optical encoder
>2.  case
>3.  weight
>4.  knob (I ordered an Omni VI knob separately after I got the unit wired
up and working)

>The rest (screws, strain relief, cable, terminal strip) , you can acquire
locally at a Radio Shack or whatever.

>The wiring is straightforward.
>
>Four of the five pins of the rotary encoder are marked to indicate function:
>1.  Minus sign
>2.  blank
>3.  A
>4.  Plus sign
>5.  B
>
>This is how I hooked my 301 up using a DB25M connector:
>
>Minus to Pins 1, 14, and 7  (ground)
>
>A to Pin 6 (phase 1)
>
>Plus to Pin 16 (+5V)
>
>B to Pin 8 (phase 2)
>
>I used a shielded, 4 conductor cable about 5 feet long to run from the back
of the Omni VI, under the desk, and to the 301 on an
under-the-desktop-keyboard drawer shelf attachment I made, and it works
perfectly.

>That should do it.
>
>At the minimum, the rotary optical encoder is the heart of the 301.  If
Ten-Tec no longer has anything else, they will have the encoder.  You can
find any box (I recommend the sloped front type) to put it in.

>73 and HNY,
>
>Dale Martin, KG5U
>kg5u@hal-pc.org
>http://www.hal-pc.org/~kg5u

The 301 was discontinued a couple of years ago due to lack of interest.
Please keep in mind that this is NOT sold as a kit.  We can sell you
the four main parts, but cannot walk you through assembly, wiring, etc.
Unfortunately, I stated here a while back that parts could be purchased
for this item without consulting the service department first.  We can't
walk you through the assembly and use.  This may sound contrary to our
service philosophy, but Paul Clinton, our service department manager,
requested I post a message to this effect.  Thanks.

Scott Robbins, W4PA
Ten-Tec

--
FAQ on WWW:               http://www.contesting.com/tentecfaq.html