[TenTec] OMNI VI and SSB operation

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] OMNI VI and SSB operation
From: seay@Alaska.NET (Del Seay)
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 1997 09:12:13 -0800
Carlos:
While the OMNI-6 is an exceptionally quiet - and sensitive - receiver,
operation on 80 meters makes these attributes less important.
80 meters will of course have a much higher ambient noise level, both
from naturally occurring sources, as well as man-made sources.
Therefore, since the ambient noise may be as high or higher than
a microvolt, having a receiver with a noise floor better than -140 dBm
and internal noise almost non-existant is a moot point.

I can certainly recommend the OMNI-6 because I love mine. But I don't
think you will be able to see it's beauty on 80 meters.

Definately, wait for the OMNI-6 Plus version to get the better DSP.
The original '6' did not have noise reduction dsp on ssb, so you will
surely want the Plus version, which does have ssb noise reduction.

Good luck, Carlos - and enjoy the new toy.
73  de KL7HF

--
FAQ on WWW:               http://www.contesting.com/TenTecFAQ.html