[TenTec] OMNI VI and SSB operation

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] OMNI VI and SSB operation
From: ad4yh@nortel.ca (Dale Pendleton)
Date: 31 Mar 1997 13:19 EST
>I have a shortned vertical for 3500 and a dipole for 3790 (at 40ft). There is
>no way to improve my antenna system because I live in a city lot.

Good luck with your choice of a rig! The text quoted above is what I am
addressing.

1. The vertical will tend to hear much more qrn, as that this type of
   noise is <mostly> vertically polarized.

2. Yes you can improve your antenna system greatly! Since you describe
   your dipole in terms of being "for 3790", I will assume it is "cut"
   specifically for that qrg and fed with coax.
   If you replace the coax with open wire line, say 450 ohm ladder line,
   and use an antenna tuner, you will be able to use the antenna on
   <<ANY>> frequency in the 80 meter band, along with other bands as
   well.
   For added performance, you might consider making the antenna longer,
   say for the bottom of the band around 3500 or so.

   If you take these steps, you will ba amazed with the improvement in
   performance with both rx and tx. In 99% of cases this arrangement
   will out-perform just about anything else you could put up in the
   space you have.

   .....73 de  AD4YH

--
FAQ on WWW:               http://www.contesting.com/TenTecFAQ.html