[TenTec] TenTec 2M Handheld (was SSB 2M Handheld)

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] TenTec 2M Handheld (was SSB 2M Handheld)
From: kg5u@hal-pc.org (Dale Martin)
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 1997 18:06:50 -0500
On Friday, June 13, 1997 9:24 AM, Stan Henson[SMTP:shenson@uiuc.edu] wrote:

>It is a 2 meter FM portable - I have one I bought at the ARRL National
>Convention in NYC when Owen Garriot, W5LFL, was the main speaker.

I worked Owen a couple of times with my 2581.  Unfortunately, he was only
in one of the mockups/simulators at work at the time, but still..... COOL!

Mine
>still works fine, but found out it's not on TT's trade-in list when I
>bought my Omni VI last year.

If we hold on to them long enough, maybe their value will rise enough
to be worthy of a trade in for an Omni VI.....

Seems that the microprocessor in the HT is
>obsolete so when it dies, the radio becomes a paperweight.

a comforting thought...I hadn't heard that.

TT still sold
>battery packs for them as of a year ago when I got a new one.  I was told
>that TT did not actually build the HT, but bought it from another
>manufacturer.

Whoever did it, did it well.  I have two: one I bought new many years ago and
one I inherited from my Dad (sk) (he was so impressed with mine he went out
and got one for himself).

The model number was a 4 digit one - something like 2519.

At the time, I had a Triton IV (digital) and it's s/n was 544-0069.  Then,
when I got the 2581, I found the s/n on it was 2581-0069.  If I didn't
know better I would have thought that was the only s/n T-T put on their
equipment.

My second HT is out on loan to a newly licensed Tech, who is
excited as heck about being able to get on the local repeaters
and experience Ham Radio while surveying the market for his
own radio(s).

>have a manual and other paperwork and could look up some details, if anyone
>is interested.

>Stan, W9JX (was KB9UM til last month)

Congratulations!

>ps) My Omni VI Option 3 number is 148 and no shipping instructions yet.

73 de # 57
(and hoping 'the call' doesn't come until AFTER Field Day!)

Dale Martin, KG5U
kg5u@hal-pc.org
http://www.hal-pc.org/~kg5u