[TenTec] RIG IN THE MIDDLE

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] RIG IN THE MIDDLE
From: turner@safety.ICS.UCI.EDU (Clark Savage Turner WA3JPG)
Date: Sat, 21 Jun 1997 18:29:58 -0700
My opinion is that Ten Tec is already making the best
rigs it can.  Have any of you been involved in the manufacturing
design process?  It is really a difficult thing to do, and Ten
Tec is in an especially delicate position as the only Americans
in the market.  They cannot match the Japanese in some features
for the same dollars, that seems to be a fact.  If they overextend
or miss the market badly, we cannot expect them to stay.  If they
build a radio with older technology and it is not dirt cheap,
they won't sell any.

Many of suggested, begged for, and asked for the Argonaut II, and
many suggestions I am hearing about the new mid range rig matches
the Delta II.  These radios did not sell well.  That hurts Ten
Tec.  The Paragon II has gone out of production.  That is a
message to Ten Tec from the market that they must listen to.

Re-releasing the Corsair would likely cost them more today than
it did when they first produced it.  It was $1200 then.  Do you
really think many hams will buy that sort of rig at that price?
A few of us will, but not enough to make a production run in my
opinion.   There is the new Yaesu DSP rig, the Kenwood 570D
and the ICOM with the pan display on the front.  I am sure the
guys at Ten Tec would love to serve their fans, but they must
stay in business and show a profit to stay in Sevierville.

I love the Corsair II.  Just got one and use it more than my
other rigs, even without the extra filters.  Nice radio for sure.
Ten Tec lists one used and you can buy it reconditioned from
them, go get it!

I really appreciate the guys at Ten Tec.  I bought a 505 argo
from the factory in 1973.  I got the Triton IV new back in 1978.
That was when all the Japanese radios used tubes and the guys
who used them laughed at my Triton IV telling me that the rig
would never last since it didn't have tubes.  Been using Ten
Tec radios ever since.

Just my opinion.  I want those guys at Ten Tec to make the
decisions that keep them in business, even if there are a few
warts in the rigs or there is a gap in their product line.

Clark
WA3JPG