[TenTec] this amp thing....

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] this amp thing....
From: owen@piper.eeel.nist.gov (James C. Owen, III)
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 1997 08:35:21 -0500 (EST)
In message Tue, 12 Aug 1997 16:51:09 -0700,
  Jim Lowman <jmlowman@ix.netcom.com>  writes:

> The above is probably the reason that Ten-Tec offered the Argo (5 watts
 out) for QRP, and the Scout 555 (50 watts out).  The Scout is essentially
the  Argo with a 50-watt RF deck added.  Not sure if Argo owners could add
the RF  deck  after the fact, but it seems that for about $50-60 more, it
was a  possibility.   For the ham who wasn't sure if he wanted to be
exclusive on QRP, the  Scout,  which could be rolled back to 5 watts or
less, would have been the ticket at  a cost of about $60 more than the
Argo.  > > 73 de Jim - KF6CR

You've hit the nail on the head Jim. The amplifier rule is for "External
Power Amplifiers" and the 50W amp on the Scout is considered part of the
transceiver. I think that it would be pretty easy to convert an Argo to a
Scout but I doubt that TT built extra amps. It would be more cost effective
to sell the Argo and buy a Scout. 73 Jim K4CGY