[TenTec] My OMNI6 Upgrade

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] My OMNI6 Upgrade
From: tbarnett@lexmark.com (tbarnett@lexmark.com)
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 1997 10:35:09 -0400
Got my OMNI 6 back last night.
My wife saved the surprise until after supper :-)

I hand carried my OMNI down to Tennessee on vacation last week, cause UPS
was still on strike.
The total turnaround time was 9 days.  Wow, thanks Scott!

First QSO was with W4FOA on 40 CW, and the QSK seems smoother than it did
before.
I've got the 500 under N1, and a new 250 under N2.
The 250 does not ring, it's just tighter.
Kicking on the DSP while on 40M was unreal, the noise just dies away, and
the signals "pop up" from the noise.
The LP button got rid of some higher end noise when the filters were not in
so tight.
The filter choice combinations are much appreciated.

This morning on 40M, the DSP didn't seem to help near as much.
But in spite of poor condx, I worked a 3D2 with it, which was not audible
on my 765 with a DSP9....
I think some noise is mathematically easier to reduce than others.
It also probably depends on the strength of the carrier it's trying to pull
through.

Other things I liked:
- The new front panel buttons are hard plastic, not the rubbery kind as
before.
   I think the lettering is going to stay on forever now.
- The menu system was much better, the Lock button start-off is easier to
remember.
- Had to re-find the Sidetone pitch button, but the upper right is the
right place for it.

I'm VERY happy with my OMNI-6 Plus retrofit.
Best money ever spent on radio in years, other than buying it used last
year.
My opinions are CW-only, very little SSB here, so your mileage may vary.

Tyler N4TY