[TenTec] PTO on Argo/Scout

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] PTO on Argo/Scout
From: bames@mecasw.com (bames@mecasw.com)
Date: Sat, 30 Aug 1997 09:52:56 -0400

One of the minor complaints I had about my Argo was the difficulty in
tuning as compared to a digital rig. Since the Argo uses a PTO it does not
behave the same, you can't quickly dial about the band. However, I realized
that this was not a flaw but just the way it works. But I did make a
discovery that improves the situation. I realized one day that tuning the
Argo was not an enjoyable experience because the knob was too small! I did
an experiment. I went to the local hdw store (with the knob in my pocket)
and found a combination of plastic plumbing couplings that would press fit
over the knob, increase the diameter and still clear the existing switches
on the panel. It gave me a knob of about 2" in diameter. The difference was
rewarding. I found it easier to tune both cw and ssb signals. Now this is
really a kludge. What I would like to get is a real knob with a larger
diameter which extends clear of the panel before it gets bigger.

I could do this if I had a lathe to turn a piece of plastic to the
necessary diameters and a drill press to drill the shaft and set screw
holes and a tap to thread the set screw hole. But I don't.

I suppose I am looking to buy such an item/service. Can anyone help? I
don't suppose TT has such an item in their inventory?

Bill Ames
KB1LG