[TenTec] R-7000 Vertical Experience

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] R-7000 Vertical Experience
From: dwright@microagesf.com (David Wright)
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 1997 10:49:37 -0700
I concur.  I've used both the R-7 & R-7000.   Both are overrated on
their power handling capabilities.   I've burned traps on both antennas
with a  500w AL-80B.   On the R-7, the "black box" on the bottom of the
antenna fried @ 100 watts!  Good SWR (1:1), 1/3 or less of the power
rating, and the result was TVI galore (especially 40m @ 50+ watts!) and
burnt up city.  Forget it.

I hear the Hygain TH-77 will handle up to 2kw pep but I have no
experience with it.  Force Antenna's make a vertical tri-bander that's
small (5ft long) and handles full power.    I gave up and went back to
big Yagi's and wires myself.   They work and handle all the power you
can give them (Alpha 89).  GL and let us know how it works out for you.

73 de Dave KB6JOX